The first picture I'm sharing is a before that doesn't yet have an after. For those of you that follow us on Facebook, you saw posts asking for well wishes as we began the project of hanging beadboard in the kitchen and breakfast nook. That project took about two weeks to get on the wall and a few days past that to get it all painted. Although my husband has come quiet a long way in improving his carpentry skills, his caulking and painting still leaves a little to be desired. This is a good place to state that as long as we've been married, very few projects have made it to the "complete" status without help from my sister-in-law and my mother-in-law. Regarding the recent projects, they've stepped in to do caulking and painting...that's their "usual" job. And, might I add they do it from the heart. So, that saves me a TON of money. I must also add we are very fortunate that my dad has A LOT of power tools. He has willingly loaned them out to us without hesitation. If we didn't have access to the tools he has, I'm not really sure how the "honey-do list" would be getting these big DIY projects checked off of the list.
The main area of the kitchen and breakfast nook now looks refreshed and brightened with a nice coat of white paint all over the newly installed beadboard. However, the island/bar in the kitchen is the place where all four of my children and all of their friends gather. They are there for breakfast, for snacks, for homework, and for just hanging out while I'm cooking in the kitchen. You can imagine the wear and tear that area receives. So, we decided to paint that just a little bit different.
After the beadboard project was complete, the DREADED garage project began. Not to be redundant but we have four children ages 12 and under. So, you can imagine how quickly a garage gets out of shape...piled with bikes, riding toys, balls, gloves, sidewalk chalk, "junk" from a quick car clean out, etc. You name it, it was in our way in the garage. So, I actually got to be helpful in this project. I spent a LONG time cleaning the garage in order to make room for a project I've had my eye on for quiet a while. The inside of our house doesn't lend the space that's needed for a mudroom area like I'd love to have. So, we decided to make the best of our garage and create a "mudroom" in the space before you walk into our home. In this picture in the bottom left, you can see just a taste of how out of sorts the garage was. But, now we LOVE the space. It's like a little bit of square footage added to our living area because it has turned out to be the mudroom we never had. The top picture shows how it looks now...the same space where all the junk used to be. Let me brag really big here...my husband built 98% of this all by himself! He had a great friend come over and help him get the frame all squared up but he did all the rest. I gave him a picture from Pinterest and said, "Here...build this please." He under estimated himself when he didn't think he could do it. I'm proud of him that he did. (Don't tell him that he only proved how many other things he can do!) We still have to add one more hook to the far right cubby and do a tad bit of caulking but it is already a very functioning space.